BBN BI lessons are HE-AAC encoded at 48kbps and delivered in the popular m4a file format. This format is attractive because if affords excellent quality with files sizes 4 times smaller than equivalent sounding MP3’s.
When accessing from a phone:
iPhone and Android users can most easily access the mobile version of our BI site through our free apps. To download our free app, click here. If you don't have an iPhone or Android or prefer to access directly via your phoen's browser, on your device, go to www.bbnbi.org. This page should detect that your device is a phone and automatically display a mobile-friendly version of the BI site. Right now, this is the only page able to detect your phone and redirect you to the BI mobile view.
When accessing from a desktop, laptop or tablet:
We offer two ways to access each lesson; Play and Download. Both options deliver the exact same file. The best option for you will be determined by the type of device you are using or your preference.
Play - The option to 'Play' launches a custom player that works in any browser that supports Adobe Flash or HTML5. Below is a list of browsers and devices that are compatible with the “Play” option.
Download - The 'Download' option is best with select devices or when you wish to save a copy for local storage. Download is desirable, for example, if you need to save a copy to your hard drive so iTunes can sync the file to an iPod Touch for mobile listening. Note that Apple iOS devices like iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch don't actually store a copy of the audio. Below is a list of browsers and devices that work with the 'Download' option.
- Internet Explorer
- Android - You may need to refresh if the Play button doesn't appear in player window.
- QQ - opens in a new tab, but not a smaller window
If you select the download option and wish to play the file on a PC, Mac or Linux machine, the following free software players will play our BI files:
- Internet Explorer - Plays via the Quicktime plugin in some versions or downloads via right-click “Save target as”
- Chrome - Doesn’t play but downloads via right-click “Save link as”
- Firefox - Plays via WM Player 12 or downloads via right-click “Save link as”
- Safari - Play or download easily with one left-click
- Opera - Downloads via right-click and “Save linked content as”
- Android - Download is the recommended option, but please be aware that cell carriers sometimes block large file transfers via 3G. Some users are limited to downloading files via WiFi.
- iOS on iPad
- QQ - Download with left click
- Windows Mobile - Touch or tap button to initiate download
- Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 7